It is very clear that having your puppy or dog sit in your lap while in the car is extremely dangerous. Many drivers do not ever think about the possibility of an accident until it happens. After all, that is why it is called an accident. It is an unplanned, negative event that causes damage and injury.
But what you can plan for is the safety of your Pomeranian by using the best car seat for this breed.
The Reasons a Car Seat is Must
1) 8% of owners do not use a car seat. Out of the remaining 92%, over half of those owners (55%) felt unsure if they were using the best seat possible or if they were using it in the right way.
2) Dogs that are unrestrained in the car will be thrown even with a slow-moving impact. With a vehicle that is traveling at 35 mph, an impact will have the following results:
A Pomeranian that weighs 5 pounds (2.26 kg) will be thrown with the force of a 225 pound object (102 kg) object. A Pom that weighs 10 lbs. (4.53 kg) will be thrown with force as if he is a 450 lb. (204 kg) object.
This can cause severe bodily injury including broken bones, fractured neck, severe internal injury to vital organs and brain damage.
3) Improper canine car seats that are too large or those in which the Pomeranian is not properly fastened will bring about the same results.