Why this is overlooked –
When planning for a new puppy
to come into the home, no doubt owners checked over the house. And then, as the Pom matured and showed that he’s well-behaved and knows not to chew on non-toy items, they didn’t see the need for continuing to do this.
Why this care tip should be done
–Dogs mouth objects for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with eating. Without opposable thumbs, they use their mouth to identify objects. Things do not need to have a scent on them or look appealing in any way.
Even if a Pomeranian never showed curiosity to mouth anything other than a toy, all it takes is one moment of boredom or random flash of inquisitiveness for there to be grave consequences.
Chewing on or swallowing non-toy items can lead to injury to oral tissue, injury to the esophagus, choking, stomach upset, partial or full stomach or intestinal blockage, poisoning and even death. And these are all things that are preventable.
The type of things that dogs have ingested are startling; here is a small sampling of objects swallowed by dogs (even toy breeds), seen on x-ray and removed via costly surgery:
• Coins –Pennies minted in 1982 and later, contain high levels of zinc (97.5) and are highly toxic. Those minted before 1982 contain just 5%. Nickels, dimes and quarters can cause choking or blockage. Are there any coins laying around your house? On the floor? In a sofa? Most likely the answer is yes, and that is why this care tip is so imperative.