The answer to this, for some, is simple curiosity that turns into a habit. Certainly you've heard owners say, "My dog is eat anything!". Well, there are some dogs that will sniff and taste just about anything to answer the questions of "What is this?"...."Is this edible?"..."If so, do I like the taste?"
It's hard to imagine that a dog would like the taste of feces, however depending on what foods were digested and expelled, if a dog is actually eating it, there must be an element that they are finding to their liking.
If a Pomeranian does this just one time and is not taught that it is an unacceptable behavior, he or she may then get into a habit of seeking out poop and eating it. An owner must remember that if a behavior is not corrected, a dog will assume that it is tolerated and acceptable.
There are some things you can do to stop your Pom from eating feces:
1) When house training, be sure to choose 1 designated area. Then, within that area, your Pomeranian can choose the exact spot. That will be the bathroom area and should not be used for any other reason such as play or exercise. Once your Pom has gone to the bathroom, scoop up any feces and then lead your Pom away.
2) Keep a close eye on him when you bring him to area where there are other dogs (parks, etc.) since eating the feces of other dogs can lead to a worm infestation.
3) If a Pom really has a bad habit of eating his own poop, there are safe supplements that can be sprinkled onto their meals. It tastes good going in, but when it is expelled it has a horrid taste to stop a dog from wanting to nibble on it. You can find this under 'Supplements' in the Pomeranian Specialty Shoppe.
4) Whenever your see your Pomeranian heading toward any feces, Immediately clap your hands to gain his attention. Refocus his attention elsewhere and reward good behavior.
5) If you have an open space in the yard where you like to allow your dog to run around and play, it is recommended to go outside first to clear the area of any feces. Spraying water on any piles with a garden hose is a quick solution to cleaning poop away as it will dissolve into the soil.